Tuesday, September 7, 2010

By Your Eternal Spirit

While in the process of reading Thomas Brooks, "Heaven on Earth", I was reminded it is good to read the "Rest of the Story", before coming to a conclusion concerning a matter. As he was addressing the subject of "special seasons and times wherein the Lord is graciously pleased to give his children a sweet assurance of his favor and love." As he had listed nine different seasons, and I was in the midst of reading the one concerning the partaking of the Lord's table, questions began to arise in my own mind concerning the enjoyment thereof, causing me to wonder if there was something I was missing, as some seem to make more of partaking of the sacraments than the day to day partaking of the bread of life broken and opened to us by the Spirit of the Living God, secured for us by the sacrifice and sustenance of the blood of Christ, which cleanses us from all sin.

While in this state of questioning, the following poem was written. Being enabled to look to the Word for answers, and immediately thereafter, as I continued on to the Seventh point by Brooks, the thoughts of which I trust were given to me of the Lord were confirmed. "...Praying times are times wherein the Lord is graciously pleased to give his people some sweet and comfortable assurance of His love and favor towards them. Usually the most praying souls are the most assured souls. Prayer crowns God with honor and glory that is due His Name; and God crowns prayer with assurance and comfort. There is no service wherein souls have such a near, familiar, and friendly intercourse with God, as in this of prayer, neither is there any service wherein God doth more delight to make known His grace and goodness, His mercy, and bounty, His beauty and glory to poor souls than this of prayer."

Therefore, I rejoice in the conclusion that our enjoyment of Christ and our usefulness by Him in the public arena and that of corporate worship is strengthened and increased as He leads us forth in the enjoyment and usefulness by Him in private.

I thank You for my ignorance,
For in it I am frail.
When waves of doubt assault my soul,
I know You shall prevail.

For You have chosen us so weak,
To show Yourself so True--
To strengthen us where glory dwells
Within our hearts anew.

By Your Eternal Spirit;
While engraved upon Your hands,
You offered up Yourself to God,
And pure our conscience stands--

That we may serve the Living God,
Your will did take effect;
Embracing us to know Your Name--
By sacrifice perfect,

A holy people to Your praise
To wait Your soon return.
Lord Jesus come, for You or'er all
Is Whom Your children yearn.

Michael E. Wood
August 26, 2010

1 comment: