Monday, March 26, 2012

O LORD, Make Me a Man of Prayer

Michael E. Wood
March 1, 2012

Psalm 5:1-4

To the choirmaster: for the flutes. A Psalm of David.

Give ear to my words, O Lord; consider my groaning. Give attention to the sound of my cry, my King and my God, for to you do I pray. O Lord, in the morning you hear my voice; in the morning I prepare a sacrifice for you and watch.

This Psalm of which David offered up and presented to the choirmaster to be accompanied by the playing of flutes begins with prayer. It has served to remind me that one of the greatest areas of which I have need to grow in, is in that of becoming a man of prayer. Though I am somewhat encouraged by finding that some of the greatest men of God have struggled in this area, and have felt inadequate, I am likewise reminded that this is an area of priority of which the apostle Paul was and is used by the Holy Spirit to reprove, rebuke, and exhort us to action. It is not that we are to make use of vain repetitions but are admonished by the voice of our Almighty and Infinite God as a Father through the person and finished work of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ to make our requests known to Him. Oh how wonderful is His promised Holy Spirit who groans within us through words that are unutterable, transcending all we can think or ask in perfect unity with the mind of Christ, and causes us to likewise groan in harmony with the perfect will of God. “In prayer it is better to have a heart without words than words without a heart.” John Bunyan

O LORD, make me a man of prayer
To bring my every burden there
And lay them all before Your feet
While knowing with You I shall meet.


My Father, You are now to me
Through Christ alone to hear my plea
For mercy as I groan within
And make confession of my sin.
For nothing shall be hid from You
As You bring all things into view
To know the wonders of Your grace
While looking on my Savior’s face.


Oh help me see the things You see
In such a way that I might plea
For others through the sacrifice
Of Christ alone who shall suffice
To make Your promise firmly fixed
Within our hearts and intermixed
With faith and patience as we wait
And watch for You our Potentate.


Your steadfast love doth make us strong
And we shall bow with all the throng
And glory in the treasure of
Our Lord and Savior when above
And see how You kept every tear
And led us forth through every fear
And answered all by Your perfection,
Our God and King, and Resurrection!



No comments:

Post a Comment