Monday, November 26, 2012

A Soul Left From This Earth Today

Michael E. Wood
October 4, 2012

Upon completion of the service held in the Alzheimer’s Unit at Atria, one of the employees approached me and said that one of the residents was in her final moments here on earth and asked if I would come and pray with them. Upon responding in the affirmative we began to walk down the hall, and I could hear coming from the room the words and music of “It is Well With My Soul”.  With so much more to tell than what I will convey through prose, thoughts of Elizabeth taking her last breath stayed with me throughout the evening until finally I found myself sitting at the table as the following came to mind.

A soul left from this earth today as I stood there close by,
The body quaked as friends were near until the final sigh.
Some hymns were sung for comfort and then from the Bible read
Was the Psalm called twenty-three, as God the Spirit led
To speak in those last moments of the Shepherd of my soul,
Who calms our fear and comforts as He leads by His control
Through all the days of life on earth for all who are His own
And brings them safe to final rest in His eternal home.

Oh think not or imagine that this day will pass you by
As all will face the Judgment; as appointed once to die.
Oh make all preparation, but one thing, Oh do not miss,
The place called Calvary where righteousness and peace did kiss.
For all the work was finished, and forgiveness is now owned
By all who trust in Jesus Christ, whose blood there has atoned
As the only way in which Gods wrath is satisfied
And demonstrates His love for us which cannot be denied.
And though not one is worthy, but He chose for His own sake
To redeem a remnant by His grace and to partake
Of all that He has promised by His covenantal will
To display His glory by the cross of Calvary’s hill!

No comments:

Post a Comment