Monday, September 16, 2013

He Lifts Us in His Bosom

Michael E. Wood
September 10, 2013

But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. 2 Corinthians 12:9

 It seems that for some of us, as we grow older, our bodies change in various ways that are difficult to describe. Muscles don’t work as they once did, which is discouraging in relation to obtaining proper exercise. Our digestive tract doesn't respond to certain foods in the same way without the aid of medications such as Prilosec, which doesn't help in every situation. With the depletion of energy levels during the course of a day, we may find that our minds become cloudy and have difficulty focusing on what we are reading or attempting to study. And then on some occasions we are temporarily incapacitated by just feeling sickly, which may encompass all of the above.

About 6:30, Tuesday morning I had the opportunity to attend a Bible study with some of the guys from Providence Bible Church. We had a wonderful time of fellowship around the Word of God, as we have been looking not only into how the grace of God was working in the life of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, but the manner in which Christ is the fulfillment of the promises of God. 

Upon returning to our apartment, I had a bite to eat, took a short nap, and intended on spending the rest of the day studying in preparation for a message to be preached the following Sunday. But when I awoke, I just felt sickly in my stomach, and had a difficult time focusing my mind on the things of which I needed to study. So, I just sat down and began to write…..

Sometimes I just feel sickly
And I don’t know even why.
Could it be my allergy to work,
Or just an alibi?
Could it be that I am given this
To now identify
With so many who now suffer
So much more than you or I?

For in weakness we are taught
To boast of Him, who is our strength,
As He gives to us sufficient grace
To know the breadth and length,
Of the love He has and demonstrates
While pouring in our hearts
That great peace that passes understanding
Far beyond our smarts.

And He lifts us in His bosom,
Holding us so ever close,
And He whispers, “Child, I have you,
And prescribe the proper dose,
From my own apothecary,
Just exactly as I planned,
And to use you for my glory
More than you now understand.”

And in time we shall proceed
To see beyond our earthly cares
That our Father surely gave His best
To all, who are joint-heirs.
For our treasure is laid up,
Where nothing ever more will test,
As we pass by grace to glory
In His everlasting rest.

The next day, I began by having a good morning leading a Bible study in a home for the elderly, I also visited with a friend at another facility, who’s health has declined to the point that they have accepted the fact that death is imminent. Upon reading some scripture, singing a hymn, and having prayer with this dear saint, she responded to the encouragement received by saying, “I’m going to die soon, and that’s O.K.” I smiled and said, ‘It’s more than O.K., it’s going to be beyond what any of us could ever imagine.”

No comments:

Post a Comment