Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Forgive Me Father

Michael E. Wood
September 2013

The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit; a broken and contrite heart, O God, you will not despise. Psalm 51:17

While many accountability groups require confession of wrongs done toward mankind as a part of their "program", many or most are actually designed simply to make the individual feel better about themselves. And though outward sin against an individual should be confessed and appropriate restitution should be made when possible, it should likewise be understood that all sin is an infinite offense against an infinite Almighty God, to whom we shall give an account.

Thus a broken spirit; a broken and contrite heart, are the only sacrifices that God accepts. These can not be conjured up through the imagination of the mind but come as a free gift of the grace of God through the one sacrifice acceptable to Him. The sacrifice, He provided by sending His own Son to bear the iniquity of many, that He might redeem us from all unrighteousness.


Oh, not the guilt and shame I feel
But knowing my offense is real
Toward You, my God, and Father’s Son
That nailed You to the cross as one
Of all of Adam’s race that day
Is why I look through You and pray,
Forgive me Father, I have sinned.
In brokenness, I comprehend
The truth of what I’ve really done
And what You did that I be won,
As a captive of the war
From all my pride, to love You more!

No comments:

Post a Comment