Sunday, May 22, 2011

Of Your Almighty Character

Michael E. Wood
May 5, 2011

1st Corinthians 8:1- 3

“...’all of us possess knowledge’. This knowledge puffs up, but love builds up. If anyone imagines that he knows something, he does not yet know as he ought to know. But if anyone loves God, he is known by God.”

On some occasions I take a short nap in the afternoon in order to be more alert for the rest of the evening. On this particular day I did not feel that I had accomplished all that I would have liked to beforehand. As I awoke I felt a kind of darkness within my emotions that seemed to sweep over me. Though our salvation is not dependant upon our feelings there are times some of us have need to work and wrestle through our subjective feelings relying and trusting in the objective truths of scripture whereby God through His infinite mercy restores us to the haven of rest we have in the finished work of Christ.

The following was written upon the understanding of my own lack of knowledge and my need to grow in grace and in the knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ; to lay hold of and to be held by the realities of the truth of His work on the cross of Cavalry.

Dianna came home from work while I was in the midst this conflict within and I told her I felt like I had just undergone a satanic attack. Thanks be to God for His love by which He has known us and from which we can never be severed.

Father,


Oh when I feel like darkness
Will o’er take me like a storm,
I yet rejoice in knowing
All from you is sent to form
A greater understanding
By the pleasure of Your hand
Of Your Almighty character
Through Christ then to withstand
The turbulence that heretofore
Had shook me to my knees
And caused me to cry out alone
To You who hears my pleas
For mercy while in darkness
I await Your sweet embrace
That draws me ever closer
And rejoice to see Your face.


And as Your smile then scatters
All subjective fears and loss,
I see that all was nailed
Together on that rugged cross
Of which was borne to show
Beyond all words Your royal love
And confirmed by words supplied
By Your Almighty Dove,
Spoken through the text of Your
Unchanging Holy Script
Of which You’ve given here below
That we might be equipped
To uphold Your honor
By the wisdom that You give
And by the power of Your Spirit
For Your glory live.

No comments:

Post a Comment