Saturday, May 28, 2011

The Old Man is Dead!

Michael E. Wood
May 11, 2011

Psalm 37:35, 36
I have seen a wicked, ruthless man, spreading himself like a green laurel tree. But he passed away, and behold he was no more; though I sought him, he could not be found.

The old man is dead!
The new man now reigns!
The effect of God’s Spirit
Now runs through my veins,
By faith everlasting
That came as a gift,
And mercy surpassing
My sin and to lift
Up holy hands
Without wrath or a doubt.
Oh praise with me Jesus
Who brought my soul out,
That I might see
And delight in the face
Of Christ evermore
To the praise of His grace!


You have heard it said, “The New is in the Old concealed, and the Old is in the New revealed.”  Though I have no warrant to say with all authority that the preceding passage from Psalms was speaking directly in accordance with Romans 6:6-11, the poem recorded did come as a result of reading through Psalm 37 and coming to verses 35 and 36.

Romans 6:6-8
We know that our old self was crucified with him in order that the body of sin might be brought to nothing, so that we would no longer be enslaved to sin. For one who has died has been set free from sin. Now if we have died with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with him.

No comments:

Post a Comment