Monday, January 23, 2012

Now to the Lord married

Michael E. Wood
January 11, 2012

Romans 7:4-6

Likewise, my brothers, you also have died to the law through the body of Christ, so that you may belong to another, to him who has been raised from the dead, in order that we may bear fruit for God. For while we were living in the flesh, our sinful passions, aroused by the law, were at work in our members to bear fruit for death. But now we are released from the law, having died to that which held us captive, so that we serve in the new way of the Spirit and not in the old way of the written code.


Romans 8:1-4

There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus. For the law of the Spirit of life has set you free in Christ Jesus from the law of sin and death. For God has done what the law, weakened by the flesh, could not do. By sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh and for sin, he condemned sin in the flesh, in order that the righteous requirement of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not according to the flesh but according to the Spirit.

Over the last couple of weeks I have found my self immersed in the exposition of Romans chapter 7 and the beginning of chapter 8 through the commentary given by D.M. Lloyd-Jones. As I awoke around four-thirty this morning, the following words with music came to mind. (I smile as I think of how Dianna said, “You’re making butterflies this morning.”)   As we danced to the melody in the privacy of our home, our minds were enraptured by the beauty of the Lord and the freedom that we have in Him through the blood of His cross.

What an amazing thing, that He can take us from our worm-like state, conceal us in His death and raise us up together with Him, to be transformed by the power of His resurrection; to behold His glory, and to be made like Him in that glorious estate which surpasses knowledge!

My soul lie despondent and with every breath
A slave to my sin I pursued in my death
Then Jesus said, “Come, I have carried them all
Into the sea to redeem from the fall.”


Into the sea to redeem from the fall,
The blood of my Savior has covered them all.
My ears He did open to answer His call
To rest now assured He is Lord overall.


Not bound by the law, but now to my Lord married.
Rejoicing in Jesus, who has my soul carried
From death unto life by His transcendent love
Into His kingdom, who reigns from above.


Into His kingdom, who reigns from above,
Translated from darkness to light now in love,
Led by His Spirit who came like a dove,
Till with Him in glory, this world then free of.


Now no condemnation and never shall be,
The law of the Spirit has set my soul free.
For God has now done what the law could not do
By sending His own Son to give life anew.


By sending His own Son to give life anew,
The righteous requirement fulfilled all for you
Who live by the Spirit who raised us up to
Be free to give glory to God that is due.

No comments:

Post a Comment