Tuesday, January 31, 2012

A Prayer for Sanctification

Michael E. Wood
December 24, 2011

Hebrews 10:7-14

Then I said, ‘Behold, I have come to do your will, O God, as it is written of me in the scroll of the book.’” When he said above, “You have neither desired nor taken pleasure in sacrifices and offerings and burnt offerings and sin offerings” (these are offered according to the law), then he added, “Behold, I have come to do your will.” He does away with the first in order to establish the second. And by that will we have been sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all. And every priest stands daily at his service, offering repeatedly the same sacrifices, which can never take away sins. But when Christ had offered for all time a single sacrifice for sins, he sat down at the right hand of God, waiting from that time until his enemies should be made a footstool for his feet. For by a single offering he has perfected for all time those who are being sanctified.

Romans 8:1-4

There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus. For the law of the Spirit of life has set you free in Christ Jesus from the law of sin and death. For God has done what the law, weakened by the flesh, could not do. By sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh and for sin, he condemned sin in the flesh, in order that the righteous requirement of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not according to the flesh but according to the Spirit.

Salvation is of the Lord from beginning to end. Through the sacrifice of Christ, all that are appointed unto salvation are justified from all things of which they could not be justified by the law, and the work of sanctification is set into motion by the same Spirit of Christ (which is the Holy Spirit) the moment we are birthed into the kingdom, resulting in a life of repentance and belief in the everlasting gospel of Christ. Sanctification is both definitive as well as progressive, as He which hath begun a good work in you shall perform it until the day of Christ. We have been appointed to glory and are now the children of God. Though it does not yet appear what we shall be, we know that we shall be like Him for we shall see Him as He Is. Thus we have been set free from the dominion of sin and are led forth by the Spirit of truth to glorify God throughout the course of our life here on earth as we are transformed into the likeness of our lovely Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, from glory to glory.

Remove from me the blinders that I see more my offense
That I may rejoice the more in Christ my recompense-
For as I see my weakness of which I am now ashamed
I glory more within the cross of Calvary proclaimed.


For as I hear the sweetness of the voice that raised me up
And called me to Himself that I may with Him dine and sup
Of such delights beyond a simple taste of things to come,
The fullness and the glory of my God who is the One
Of whom I trust with all my life to do as He will do
Till all that’s left of who I am will honor only You!

No comments:

Post a Comment