Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Of Self Examination


Michael E. Wood
March 15, 2013

Examine yourselves, to see whether you are in the faith. Test yourselves. Or do you not realize this about yourselves, that Jesus Christ is in you?—unless indeed you fail to meet the test!
2nd Corinthians 13:5


I can remember from an earlier time in my life that I was taught to never question my salvation, after all, I had said a prayer for God to save me hadn't I? I was outwardly demonstrating a walk of faith wasn't I? And just like so many others I would heed the words of another rather than to submit myself to the examination of God’s Word. The problem as I am made to see now is that I would always come away with a false sense of confidence based upon what I had done or was doing rather than the confidence which comes through Christ alone. Salvation is of the Lord, and it is He alone that gives strength in the midst of our weaknesses, and it is He alone that raises us to see that He is sufficient to meet our every need, including the capacity to not only endure self examination but to delight in Him who searches our hearts to expose our remaining sins and to cleanse us by His blood from all unrighteousness that we might be made partakers of His holiness. To Him be the glory who does all things well!


Of self examination, let’s approach with fear and do
For therein lies a place where God expresses love for you,
Who are the called and justified, though sin in you remains
Which serves as a reminder, Christ alone by grace now reigns.

For as our One True Advocate, He by His Spirit lifts
Our hearts to know forgiveness is but one of His true gifts,
As reconciliation with our Father supersedes
Our every sin and weakness through Christ’s blood to meet our needs.

And though we suffer long with our incessant sin and pride,
His patience calls for mercy to assist us in our stride,
As faithfulness He gives, and speaks to us as friend to friend
To know that Christ in us will manifest His glorious end-

To make us like Himself, who by His cross made us secure
And will present us faultless, as He is; so holy pure.
So let us now rejoice in Him, though oft with many tears,
To know by Him who conquers, we shall conquer all our fears.

No comments:

Post a Comment