Wednesday, August 14, 2013

How to Love You

Michael E. Wood
July 8-13, 2013

And it is my prayer that your love may abound more and more, with knowledge and all discernment, so that you may approve what is excellent, and so be pure and blameless for the day of Christ, filled with the fruit of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ, to the glory and praise of God. Philippians 1:9-11

For those who are more logical than feeling oriented, this particular poem may come as a bit of a personal confession. Please pray for me that the realities spoken of in the preceding verses taken from the apostle’s letter to the Philippians will grow to be more and more prevalent over the course of the years that I am given while here on earth.

For those who tend to be more feeling oriented, I would encourage you to join me not only in prayer, but in the pursuit of the knowledge of God. For God is love!

Having demonstrated the greatness of His love toward us through the sacrifice of His Son, He has also given to us great and precious promises. He opens our understanding to what the practical application of love looks like through the scriptures and then enables us by His Spirit to live out these truths as members of the body of Christ, both in the knowledge of His presence and for the benefit of men.

Remove from me temptation
To interpret by my feelings
Your grace which flows so freely
Through the gospel, of Your dealings;
With my soul which stands in need,
Yeah, constant all the time,
To know that You are with me
And that I am wholly Thine.

Through the channel of Your word
By Your Spirit in my heart,
Write afresh those things in secret
You implanted from the start,
That I may grow to love You
More and more each passing day;
With true knowledge and discernment,
Giving light along the way.

Oh show us how to love You
As we've never known before,
And grow in likeness to You
So that others may adore
Our Father who first loved us
Long before He gave the keys
To unlock the hearts of all;
        Who come, 
And humbly bow their knees.

No comments:

Post a Comment