Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Proclaiming Freedom

Michael E. Wood
August 20-21, 2013

I want you to know, brothers, that what has happened to me has really served to advance the gospel, Philippians 1:12

Though we in America for the most part know very little about being literally in bonds or chains for the sake of the gospel, we can learn from the experience of the apostle Paul that God continues to be Sovereign over our own opportunities and experience.

My normal Wednesday morning schedule includes a Bible study-worship time at a small assisted living facility called Abiding Care which houses six residents. What had begun with visiting with one resident, a former resident of Atria-El Camino Gardens whose name is Anne, developed into a regular time with as many as four of them meeting with me on a somewhat regular basis.

Today was different. As I entered the dining area where we meet, they had just finished breakfast, which was normal. One of the ladies moved to a nearby couch which is more comfortable for her and listens from there; still normal. But everyone else left. So there I am with the one at the table with which this study began with an employee within ear shot doing some cleaning in the kitchen. Not totally disheartened, we began by singing Amazing Grace, read from Philippians 1: 1-12, had a time of prayer and then entered the study focusing on verse 12. After about fifty minutes I noticed my one faithful lady, Anne, had dropped her head and fallen asleep. Upon looking back at the lady on the couch, she too had fallen asleep.

Though there have been times when we have continued for an hour and a half, I realized it was time to come to a close for the day. Upon touching Anne on the arm, she was very apologetic of which I assured her that she was fine. I closed by reading a couple of quotes  I found written by commentator B. C. Caffin concerning the text, the poem recited below, and prayer.

“Example is better than precept. The sight of a suffering saint, patient, contented, happy, does more to win souls than hundreds of sermons. It is the visible proof of the power of Christ.”

“The gift of preaching is far inferior to the grace of charity. The eloquent preacher may be ambitious, worldly, actuated by party spirit, not by love of Christ.”

Nothing quite like this had ever happened in the year and a half that I have been going to this facility and it resulted in me leaving earlier than normal. While being a little baffled at what had taken place I continued to my next stop.

The Eskaton in Carmichael houses another former resident of Atria named Lucy of which we have had the pleasure of meeting with for nearly two years. She was one of the first people we met and the Lord has used her to open a number of gospel opportunities over the years and today was just one example. As I walked down the hall toward her room she was sitting outside in her wheel chair. Another lady named Doris was near by and asked who I was. Upon introducing myself and telling her about our relationship with Lucy and that I would be sharing some scripture and singing she accepted the invitation to join us. As I began to sing Amazing Grace, Doris joined in. Another lady named Lou who was sitting in her wheel chair not too far away joined in as well and rolled herself closer to us. While opening the scriptures and singing another song we found ourselves being joined by two men. So there we were in the hallway with an opportunity to share the gospel of Christ with five of the residents which may not have happened in the way that it did had I not been there at that exact time. Yes, God is still Sovereign over our opportunities and experiences when we trust and obey.

While driving back to our apartment I came to a stop at a light behind a truck with a decal on the back window which said “Going Fishing”. Jesus said, “Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.”


He takes those things which seem distressing
To bring forth a richer blessing,
Turning all out for our good
Though far from us yet understood.
For though we may seem now deterred
By circumstance; His voice is heard
Proclaiming freedom through our bonds
To hearts He opens and responds
Unto the faithful gospel call
That Jesus Christ is Lord of all.

No comments:

Post a Comment