Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Brought Afresh to See the Wounds

Michael E. Wood
January 7, 2014

And you were dead in the trespasses and sins in which you once walked, following the course of this world, following the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that is now at work in the sons of disobedience— among whom we all once lived in the passions of our flesh, carrying out the desires of the body and the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, like the rest of mankind. 
Ephesians 2:1-3

Therefore remember that at one time you Gentiles in the flesh, called “the uncircumcision” by what is called the circumcision, which is made in the flesh by hands— remember that you were at that time separated from Christ, alienated from the commonwealth of Israel and strangers to the covenants of promise, having no hope and without God in the world. But now in Christ Jesus you who once were far off have been brought near by the blood of Christ. Ephesians 2:11-13


It is good to be reminded from time to time of the condition we were in by nature; separated from Christ, having no hope, and without God in the world. This truth, by the Spirit, gives us a far greater appreciation for the abundance of grace that has been lavished upon us in Christ Jesus.

There are occasions that I am brought to tears by the remembrance of consequences of past sins, but I am so thankful that we have a God and Father who has not left us to ourselves and has given us great and precious promises that He will indeed work all things together for our good and His infinite glory. In Christ, we have become a new creation. We have been translated out of the kingdom of darkness and into the kingdom of God’s dear Son. He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. Therefore we can find encouragement to forget those things which are behind and reach forth to those things which are before us; pressing toward the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.


About the time I have in mind
I've made some progress here
I’m brought to see afresh the wounds
I caused through veil of tears.
And though my great offenses
Were indeed against some men,
It’s You, Oh God, my Father
Who alone I did offend.
Psalm 51:3-4

I thank You for forgiveness which
You wrought through Your own Son
And ask that You enable me
To magnify the One
To whom I owe allegiance
For the mercy You have shown
As through Him I am pardoned
And released to be Your own.

So help me to obey You
By forgetting what is past
And focus on eternal things
You give which ever last.
And now with time redeemed
Oh help me use it for Your glory
To show and tell the greatness
Of my Savior’s wondrous story.
Ephesians 5:8-10, 15

No comments:

Post a Comment