Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Hear my cry, O God (Additional Verses)

Michael E. Wood
January 18, 2014

 On October 12, 2011 I was given the grace to write a new song in the midst of undergoing a time of testing entitled, “Hear My Cry, O God”. The song begins with the words coming from Psalm 61:1-3. Hear my cry, O God, listen to my prayer; from the end of the earth I call to you when my heart is faint. Lead me to the rock that is higher than I, for you have been my refuge, a strong tower against the enemy.

After having sung the song on numerous occasions during various services I have been entrusted with, I was contemplating singing it again. As I came to the end of the third verse, new words came to mind that I did not write immediately and were therefore lost in those moments. While thinking of these things at a later time and singing afresh to the Lord, I was given two additional verses which can be used together with the original or may be used as alternatives for a fourth verse.

Alternative #1

Till that day does come
With one voice as one
We praise You God and Father of the Son.
Our Lord Jesus Christ
Who is Holy thrice,
We wait upon You, counting the great price.
That was paid in full
On the cross that day.
Showing all the world
Your great love displayed.
Him, You did condemn,
Rod of Jesse’s stem,
To save all those who put their trust in Him.

Alternative #2

Till that day does come
May our sentence from
Your presence, conveyed by Thine own Holy One
Give to us as meek
Waiting at Your feet
Thine own words to fill the soul indeed with meat;
Which gives strength to all
Who before You fall
As we hear Your call
And worship You in awe.
Knowing You are here
Counting every tear
That flows from hearts as broken by Your fear.

Words from the Original Song:

Hear my cry, O God,
Listen to my prayer;
From the end of the earth I call to Thee.
When my heart is faint
To the rock lead me,
A strong tower from the enemy.
For when arrows fly
I will run to You
And I’ll stand by faith
For Your glory too.
You alone are God
And my refuge been
And through Christ You covered all my sin.

You have given me
The heritage
Of all those who fear Your Name.
For the blood of Christ
Removes my shame
That Your glory may be all my aim.
For the King enthroned
Now before Your face
Has redeemed me by
Such amazing grace
That my heart cannot
Help but sing to You
And forever give all the praises due.

All Your promises
Are fulfilled O God,
In Christ. We now can freely worship Thee.
He, the curse for us
When upon the tree
As He paid sins debt to set the captives free
That were written in
Your eternal book
As the Lamb was slain;
You forever look
With a smile upon
All in Him as one
Who will reign forever in the kingdom come.






No comments:

Post a Comment