Sunday, November 7, 2010

I have seen much of my own stupidity...

Do you ever feel frustrated in talking with others concerning the truth of the Gospel, and yet rejoice in the opportunity to speak, knowing that God will bless His Word by the power of His Spirit to bring forth fruit unto the praise of the glory of His grace?

In "Lectures to My Students" Charles Spurgeon makes the statement, "I have seen very much my own stupidity while in conversation with seeking souls. I have been baffled by a poor lad while trying to bring him to the Savior; I thought I had him fast, but he has eluded me again and again with perverse ingenuity of unbelief. Sometimes enquirers who are really anxious surprise me with their singular skill in battling against hope; their arguments are endless and their difficulties countless. They put us to a non plus again and again. The grace of God at last enables us to bring them to the light, but not until we have seen our own inefficiency."

How encouraging it is to read the honesty of a man such as Spurgeon concerning our dependence upon God, for the souls of men. To sow the seed in utter dependence upon the Holy Spirit of God to convict the world concerning sin and righteousness and judgment, and to glorify Christ.

Oh God of glory, One so Great;
Oh give me words to articulate--
Your wondrous Beauty and Your Worth,
To all You send me on the earth.

Tis You alone, Who justifies
The ungodly, that we may magnify
The fullness of Your Almighty Love
Beyond our thoughts with You above.

You are our Source of Infinite Wisdom
To guide us through our fleeting days.
For You alone are God so Holy
And yet You made us for Your praise.

Michael E. Wood
October 6, 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment