Tuesday, November 16, 2010

What Joy We Shall Behold!

Being at times rebuked in my own heart and mind, by a lack of progress and desire that in all things Christ might have the preeminence, I find comfort in the words spoken by the apostle Paul as written to the saints and faithful brothers in Christ at Colossae. (Col.2:2) "that their hearts may be encouraged, being knit together in love, to reach all the riches of full assurance of understanding and the knowledge of God's mystery, which is Christ"

One of the means of comprehending what "full assurance" entails is to understand the doctrine of true repentance.

"Repentance is a continual spring, where the waters of godly sorrow are always flowing. A sound penitent is still a-turning nearer and nearer to God; he is still a-turning further and further from sin. This makes the penitent soul to sigh and mourn that he get no nearer to God, that he get no further from sin, The work of repentance is not the work of an hour, a day, a year, but the work of this life."

"Next to my being kept from sin, I count it the greatest mercy in the world to be still a-mourning over sin, says the penitent soul. The penitent soul never ceases repenting till he ceases living."

"If thy repentance do not work thee out with thy sins, and thy sins work thee out of love with thyself, thy repentance is not that repentance that accompanies salvation."
Thomas Brooks-Heaven on Earth

(Sung to the tune of How Deep the Father's Love for Us - with a slight variation in melody)

O Father how my heart doth cry,
My sin that doth offend Thee.
But Christ has died to satisfy
Thy wrath which would consume me.
For He has shed His precious blood,
Atoned to show Your promise.
Your Spirit sent to dwell within.
Without His robes upon us.

Now justified I come to You,
By grace through faith You gave me.
For Christ did rise to magnify
Thy love which apprehends Thee.
For greater love has no man shown,
This gift not one deserveth.
Your faithfulness for all to see,
Your mercy now preserveth.

Your patience now enthralls my heart,
Repentance gave to please Thee.
More love You speak through all Your words
By which Your power transforms me.
That I a living sacrifice
Be used to tell the story
Of Jesus and the cross He bore
Til with You then in glory.

When You shall wipe away all tears
What joy we shall behold then.
For Christ has conquered all our fears,
You've chosen out of all men.
What glory shall be then displayed
By all you have appointed,
To magnify the precious name
Of Christ, our Lord, Anointed!

Oh may I now with mortal tongue
And life show honor to Thee,
For all You Are, I want and need,
Tis grace by which You Own me.
Though none can show the magnitude
Your worth, by word or action
May You be pleased to show in me,
You Are my Satisfaction!


Michael E. Wood
October 20, 2010

"God is most glorified in us, when we are most satisfied in Him."
John Piper

No comments:

Post a Comment