Saturday, November 27, 2010

To Him We May Fly!

Michael E. Wood
November 2, 2010

The following thoughts were written while contemplating my granddaughter's third birthday. With her name being Tatum, she is often called Tater-bug by her mother.

My prayer for you my Tater-bug;
One day you'll learn to fly.
On eagles wings
Where all will sing
With joy in Christ on high.

How can this be, for bugs don't sing,
Unless transformed in heart.
To save our life
From sin and strife
Revealed in hidden parts:

As God the Holy Spirit,
The Father sent in love
Shines forth the light
Of Jesus Christ
Who came down from above.

Our sinless holy Savior
Lived how we could not.
And He alone
For sin atoned
And spoiled the devil's plot.

For that liar and that thief,
Thinks only how to rob
The glory due
To Christ in few.
My Savior and my God!

And so I beg you listen
To this wisdom from a worm,
Who wickedly
And willingly,
God's love and Word I spurned.

But He in love unspeakable
Removed my stony heart.
In mercy gave
His life to save
No more now to depart.

God's wrath was satisfied that day
As Christ did count the cost,
And shed His blood,
Redeeming flood
For all His, through the cross.

By Christ alone our nature is changed
That to Him we may fly.
This world we leave
And to Him cleave,
As Abba, Father we cry.

As so as birthdays gifts will fade,
Received when three years old,
I pray the truth,
Like that of Ruth,
Will always be to you told.

For nothing less than holiness
Will bring unto God the glory,
That's due His Name,
Proclaiming His fame,
The Treasure of Christ with great joy!

1 comment:

  1. How precious! What a treasure to give to this little girl. I pray that in a few years, she will understand what it means, and value it greatly!

    ReplyDelete