Tuesday, July 19, 2011

All For Good

Michael E. Wood
July 2-4, 2011

On Tuesday, June 28th, 2011, I had begun to have back pains which continued to grow worse to the point of being in tears as I struggled to get out of the bed on Sunday morning. Dianna insisted it was time to go to the Doctor and I had to agree. Thus we headed to the ER at Mercy San Juan Medical Center. Everyone from the intake personnel, to the nurses and doctors were wonderful and to our amazement we were in and out in about two hours. There was no bone damage according to the X-rays, I was given some medication and told if it did not get better to return in a couple of days so they could recommend a physician for further care. The next four days were spent almost entirely in the bed.

Having been born again by the Spirit of God by grace through faith in the finished work of Christ Jesus on the cross, I have likewise come to understand that the things which happen to us in this life are never by accident but rather are designed by the sovereignty of God for the purpose of the furtherance of the gospel. While having my X-rays done, one of the technicians noticed the inscription on my wedding ring and asked, “What language is that?” I said, “It is Hebrew. Both my wife and I have the same inscription, and it means, ‘I am my Beloved’s and He is mine’”. I would like to have said more but I have learned to despise not the day of small things and trust that God will bring glory to Himself through the infirmity of my flesh and in the weakness of my witness for Him.

Pastor Jeremy Twombley stayed in touch via email and special prayer was offered up to our Lord on Wednesday night by our brothers and sisters at Immanuel Baptist Church. Again to our amazement when I awoke Thursday morning, the pain that I had been feeling had subsided by at least fifty percent and when Sunday came I was well enough to attend all of the services. And what a wonderful day it was! Though I was somewhat uncomfortable sitting with low levels of pain, and at the time of this writing have not completely healed, we are happy to say, “It is good to be in the house of the LORD!”

The first verse of this poem was written the day before going to the hospital, with the remaining being given the day after.

All for good You do for me
That flows forth from Thy charity.
Sweet comforts are found all in Thee,
O Christ, because of Calvary!


We thank You when afflictions come,
We’re made to know that You they’re from,
As mercies flow amidst our ills
And lifts our eyes unto the hills
From whence You come, O God our strength
And stretch us to know more the length,
The breadth, the width, the depth, the height
Of Your great love both day and night.


Because of You we persevere
Rejoicing as You draw us near
To make Your Presence very clear
That others come to know Your fear.


O Holy Spirit come revive
Your church that we may humbly strive
With power from on high by grace
Reveal the light of glory’s face.


For Jesus is our only hope,
Who gave Himself to show the scope
Of glory which transcends the fall
To praise Your Name O Lord of all!

No comments:

Post a Comment