Monday, October 17, 2011

Christ Jesus Alone!

Michael E. Wood
September 16, 2011

Commit your work to the LORD, and your plans will be established. Proverbs 16:3

The heart of man plans his way, but the LORD establishes his steps. Proverbs 16:9

Many are the plans in the mind of a man, but it is the purpose of the LORD that will stand. Proverbs 19:21

During the month of August, having fully recovered from my back injury, I sat out to once again seek some type of part time employment. By virtue of searching via internet various possibilities, I came across a position posted by the Sunrise Assisted Living Facility just a few miles down the road from us. Thus with the thought that I might not only land a job but find an open door for the gospel and the ministry of the Word, I went there. To make a long story short, this was not what my Father had in mind, but I being in the way He led me.

While heading back toward our little apartment I noticed the Atria El Camino Gardens Assisted Living Facility to my right and kept on driving. After a few blocks I turned around without any expectation but to be faithful to honor the Lord in seeking every opportunity to make Him known. Upon entering the facility I met the young receptionist whose name is Joy, and I said, “I love that name.” With a smile on her face she asked how she might be of assistance to me, and I said something to the effect, that “I am a songwriter, singer, a poet, a preacher, and I am looking to see if this is a place I might be used.” She said, ‘It may be that your timing is perfect, as the man who was the Pastor here recently passed away. Staci Weisz, our Engage Life Director was very close to him and has not yet found a replacement.” I left a couple of my poetry gospel tracts and continued to our apartment. Over the course of the next few days I called back twice, without receiving any inclination of interest, and had just about determined that this situation would be like so many I had looked into before.

On August 31, Dianna was working on one of her theology art projects in the “control room” as we call it while I was reading at the dining room table enabling us to converse with each other face to face from time to time. About an hour before time to leave for Wednesday night prayer meeting the phone rang and we let it go to the answering machine. Upon hearing that it was Mrs.Weisz from Atria, I picked up the phone and she began to do a quick interview over the phone. During the process of the interview, she let it be known that they were looking for someone who would be preaching the Word in an expository manner, not what people wanted to hear but what they needed to hear. She asked if Dianna and I would be able to meet her for breakfast at Atria the next morning, of which we did. That night I mentioned this opportunity to the body of believers gathered for prayer, and to our amazement a wonderful door has been opened to proclaim the glories of the grace of our God in Christ.

The following was written in light of that first introduction at Atria and of that which we trust our gracious Father will do for His glory.

I am,
A songwriter, singer, a poet, a preacher,
A tool in the hand of my Father the Teacher.
This grace He did give in Christ Jesus the man
Who came down from heaven, revealing God’s plan
To save of all people a remnant from loss
As He paid for our sins by the blood of His cross.


He calls from the dead giving life; a new race
Is formed for His glory to look on His face.
The gift of His Spirit He gave us to raise
Through infinite mercy His glorious praise.
Tis Jesus we follow, embraced by His love;
The light and the way to our Father above.


So with me now come if by faith you have seen
That He is our treasure on Whom we can lean,
And trust in Him wholly Who’s kingdom has come
Till with Him in glory, fulfilled as the sum
Of infinite wisdom and power is shown
By the grace of our Savior, Christ Jesus alone!

No comments:

Post a Comment