Saturday, May 15, 2010

At Any Place, At Any Time!

Why should it seem so strange to so many professing Christians that a man or a woman would break out in songs of praise to our Lord in most any place or at any time?

Even in one of the most well known of our contemporary hymns, "Blessed Assurance" by Fanny Crosby, the words declare, "This is my story, this is my song, praising my Saviour all the day long". In Reliquiare Baxterianae, Part 1, page 21, speaking of the effect of God's use of the Puritan Pastor Richard Baxter, it is said, "...on the Lord's days ...you might hear an hundred families singing psalms and repeating sermons as you passed through the streets."

There are a number of places in the Psalms which speaks of singing the praises of our God among the heathen, yea, among all peoples. While reading Psalm 71 and coming to verses 5-8, "For you, O Lord, are my hope, my trust, O LORD, from my youth. Upon you I have leaned from before my birth; you are he who took me from my mother’s womb. My praise is continually of you. I have been as a portent to many, but you are my strong refuge. My mouth is filled with your praise, and with your glory all the day", the following words came to mind;

Is Christ your story, Oh, is He your Song?
Oh, do you sing praise to Him all the day long?
Are you now a sign of His Excellent Spirit,
Poured out on the alter of Christ, Who can hear it?

Has He not given a mouth and a tongue,
Whereby we may teach in the songs that are sung?
Oh yes, we need preaching, and in that we delight,
But praise is the due of the One in Whose sight,

Has brought us to birth, and from our mother's womb
Now shows forth the glory of His empty tomb!
As now up in heaven, enthroned far above
Intercessions are made sure, in Him, Who Is Love.

God Is our Hope and our Refuge, so Strong,
No trials or troubles will end our New Song!
Revive us He will, from the depths up again,
And show He is righteous in all He ordained.

His deeds of salvation, Oh tell all the day.
Their number past knowledge, through Jesus, The Way!
For His righteousness is, now all our own,
And all of the glory, is Yours, God alone!


Michael E. Wood
May 15, 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment