Wednesday, July 14, 2010

The Lost Little Poem

Michael sent the following email to me on March 31, 2010. This is one of those things that, regretfully, fell through the cracks during the month leading up to our wedding. I had every intention of saving it and posting it from North Carolina on the morning after our wedding day.

As things would have it, the computer was packed up and we headed out bright and early that morning for our road-trip honeymoon across the United States. The last thing on either one of our minds that morning was a blog post. In fact, we had both completely forgot about this little poem that Michael wrote on March 31st until I came across it while cleaning up my hard drive just yesterday.

What a delight it was to find it! How sweet are those memories of our courtship. Here is the email he sent:

As today is the 31st of March, and according to the pattern of reading the chapter of Proverbs which aligns itself with each day of the month, I rejoiced in the preciousness of the gift you are to me by His amazing grace.

(Smiling -It just occurred to me that perhaps this would be a good poem to post on the day of our wedding)

My Sweet, Sweet wife, I love your dear life,
For you are far more precious than jewels.
My heart in you trusts, we run with august*
To Christ, our Head; as He, our life rules!

I have no doubt, and I just want to shout
To God Who works all for our good.
Let's give Him the praise, for all of His ways,
As our end is His glory, understood!

Oh Father in heaven, remove all the leaven
That remains in our heart of all pride,
And by Your Sweet Grace, give strength for the race
And Your mercy to miss not a stride.

Oh what a Gift, of Your Spirit to lift
Our voices as one to Your Praise!
And help us as one, to honor Your Son,
More like His image become all our days!

(*august: (1) of befitting a lord; "heir to a lordly fortune", "of august lineage"; (2)profoundly honored; "reverend holy men")

Oh what a fortune in Christ we have been made heirs to by His own blood, and how profoundly He has made us to be of the lineage to bring honor to His Holy Name!

Michael E. Wood
Written March 31, 2010 for posting May 18, 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment