Tuesday, July 27, 2010

A Workman Rightly Trained

Though God called some in particular to be apostles, such as Paul, and some prophets as Agabus, some evangelists as Phillip, and some to be pastors and teachers as Timothy; He has called each of us who are His children of which He has given a mind with the capacity to do so to study His Word. Having begun to work through the first few verses of 2nd Thessalonians around 5:00a.m., in preparation for a study group meeting later in the week, and having been up since around 3:00a.m.; feeling the weight of responsibility of being faithful to proclaim the Word of God with all integrity in Spirit and in truth,and at the same time feeling fatigue of body and mind, I laid back down. When I awoke, the passage from 2nd Timothy 2:15 was brought to mind, and this became my prayer to my Father Who does all things well.

Oh help me to be studious
To show myself approved.
A workman rightly trained in words
Of faith, with shame removed.

And as a vessel purged by which
Your honor is displayed,
Oh captivate the minds of those
Now otherwise dismayed.

Oh help me to flee youthful lusts,
Pursue righteousness, faith, love,
And peace along with those who call
On You, with hearts purified above.

And help me be not quarrelsome,
But kind to everyone.
Apt to teach, patiently endure
The assaults of the evil one.

Instructing those who do oppose
Themselves, O God, with meekness,
That perhaps You would be pleased
To grant to them The Witness,

Of Your Spirit to bring forth
Repentance leading to
A knowledge of the truth in Christ
In those You have pursued,

That they who are now captives
In the snare of satan's will
May come to know You and escape,
By grace through faith fulfill,

The purpose to show forth the power
Of Your Sovereign Might,
To bring to glory all You chose,
Those precious in Your sight.*


Michael E. Wood
July 20, 2010

*Having stopped (with my brain being blank) to prepare lunch for Dianna and myself, she came in from her secular employment and we both delighted in her giving me the words for the last line to complete this poem.

No comments:

Post a Comment