Thursday, July 1, 2010

Father of Mercies

While reading Psalm 149, I came to verse 6 which says, "Let the high praises of God be in their throats and two-edged swords in their hands." Through this I was directed to Hebrews 4:12 which tells us, "For the word of God is living and active, SHARPER THAN A TWO-EDGED SWORD, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thought and intentions of the heart". The following poem came to mind and as I looked again to Psalm 149 verse 1, which says, "Praise the LORD! Sing to the LORD a new song, His praise in the assembly of the godly!", a tune came to mind to go with the poem, and thus the poem became a new song unto the praise and the glory of God!

(Chorus)
O Father of mercies, O please meet with me,
That more like You Jesus I shall now be.
Please Holy Spirit, speak that I might see,
More clearly O God, Your Great Majesty!

For now in Creation I see Your great wonders
And know of Your judgments in sounds of the thunders,
But nothing compares as Your Word cuts asunder
My soul and my spirit as I now am under

Your watch-care and love through which You now diffuse,
The light of the glory of Christ and to use
As a vessel of mercy to the blind and confused,
A servant of Jesus of which You did choose.

(Chorus)

Not for my merit, for that could not be,
For I too was lost, through the cross I am free.
For grace You have given through faith now to see
All glory and praise belongs only to Thee.

So now if it pleaseth, I know that it will.
For this is the promise of which You instill.
By the word of Your grace, as Your captive fulfill,
Your pleasure to make me like Jesus more still.

(Chorus)


Michael E. Wood
June 30, 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment