Saturday, March 13, 2010

God our Righteousness

While contemplating the events of the day and the frailties of my flesh and while looking to Psalm 57, the following excerpts stood out.

Be merciful to me, O God, be merciful to me, for in You my soul takes refuge; in the shadow of Your wings I will take refuge, til the storms of destruction pass by. I cry out to God Most High, to GOD Who FULFILLS HIS PURPOSE FOR ME. He will send from heaven and save me. God will send out His steadfast love and faithfulness! Be exalted, O God, above the heavens! Let Your glory be over all the earth! My heart is steadfast, O God, my heart is steadfast! I will sing and make melody! Awake, my glory! Be exalted, O God, above the heavens! Let Your glory be over all the earth!

Music had come to my heart and my mind earlier in the day, and I could not remember the title of the song or find it, so He gave me these words to go with the music:

Oh, Father in heaven, there's no one like You
Oh which I can go to when my heart is blue.
What cause for rejoicing, for in You I find
Your love all sufficient for Jesus is mine.

Your Word is the means my poor soul is refined
And through which You help me to know of Your mind.
The blood of my Saviour now cleanses from sin
And by Your Sweet Spirit I'm made new within.

Oh, Father we ask You attend to the needs
Of all Your dear children You bring to their knees.
And cause them to see now the smile of Your face,
The presence of Jesus Who saves by His grace.

Oh, help them to look above all temporal loss
And give them the courage to bare up the cross,
Of which in Your pleasure You've given to share
That you may in all things Your glory be there.

Oh, help us to praise You as on You we call
And lay all our burdens on You as we fall
Now prostrate before You and trust in Your Name
Jehovah Tisidkenu, forever the same.

The LORD is our Righteousness now and always.
He'll guard us and guide us in all of our days.
Til with Him in glory we're made just like Him,
And praise Him forever in song and in hymn
.

Michael E. Wood
March 12, 2010

On Sunday evening after a most wonderful service at Beacon Baptist Church, which included partaking of the Lord's table, I went to the Minister of music, Greg Phillips, to ask if he recognized the music for this particular song. A smile comes to my face as I think of the delight it was to play Name That Tune to the glory of God! The song of which the music with slight variance originated from was, "Chosen of God", by Septimus Sears (1820-1877), and the music by Joan J. Pinkston (b. 1947).

On a more serious note, this song also came about as a result of the passing of a dear saint into glory. Michael Herron was born with an inherited disease which the Lord used to take him into glory at the age of 47. He lived the last years of his life with the knowledge that God could take His life for His Own glory if He so chose. In his last days in the hospital, after bearing a faithful testimony for Him, he was heard saying, "Shall we receive good from God, and shall we not receive evil?" (Job 2:10), and " Though He slay me, yet will I trust in Him" (Job 13:15)

Proverbs 10:7 says, "The memory of the righteous is a blessing", and thus with permission granted by his wife after having read the words of this song, I would like to dedicate this song to the memory of Michael Herron for the glory of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment